Friday, January 15, 2010

The Journey Begins

Asia-bound! I've been around Asia a few times already, but I'm excited that this is the first time I'll be documenting my food adventures here on this blog. There's no better way to start than with the airplane food. Because of it's award-winning service, my family always opts to fly on Cathay Pacific. And because of my parent's generosity, I was privileged to fly in Business Class. That definitely made the 14 hour flight to Hong Kong more comfortable.

I'll be posting my non-food related travel pictures on my Facebook and Flickr accounts.

Lunch
Amuse Bouche
Scallops, Cashews, and Champagne Deutx Brut Classic

The Pairing
Bordeaux, Vieux Chateau Landon Cru Bourgeois, 2006. Paired with the duck salad.

Duck Breast Salad
Generous slices of duck with fig chutney and a mango salsa. A tasty start.

Mesclun Salad
With portabella mushrooms, cucumbers, peppers, and lemon vinaigrette.

The Pairing
White Burgundy, P. Ferraud & Fils Vire-Clesse, 2008. Paired with the sea bass. (Turbulence kicked in around this time of the meal, as you can tell by the slant of the wine and the blurriness of the next picture.)

Pan-fried Sea Bass
In a black bean sauce with fried rice. The sauce was a bit salty, but overall this was a pretty good plate. Sea bass is a great choice for plane food.

Cheese Plate
Cambozola, Cheddar, Munster. I forgot to take a picture of the DOW Late Bottled Vintage Port 2004 that I paired the cheese with. I love cheese plates!

Fruit Plate
Pineapple and Watermelon. I asked not to get the honeydew and cantaloupe, since I'm slightly allergic to them.

Pecan Pie
With bits of pecans. It was more like a pecan bar than a slice of pecan pie.


Dinner
The Pairing
Chardonnay, Beringer Stone Cellars, 2008

Starter
A refreshing plate of fruit slices to get our stomachs ready for a light meal.

Congee
Chinese rice porridge with abalone and mushrooms. The slices of abalone were pretty generous. It also came with a couple slices of scallion pancakes.

Apple Crumble Torte
With Vanilla Sauce. Definitely crumbly.

Night Cap
Johnnie Walker Gold Label. Mmm.



CX Lounge, Hong Kong
We had a four hour wait until our connecting flight to Manila. We spent that time in the lounge where they have a Noodle Bar. The portions are nice and small for a refreshing and comforting bowl of soup.
Won Ton Noodle Soup
The shrimp and pork filling of the won ton was filled with flavor.

Shanghai Noodle Soup
The satay-like broth was pretty tasty.

Char Siu Bao
Steamed Buns with Pork.



By the time our flight to Manila took off, I was too exhausted to eat again. As much as I love food, I sometimes love sleep even more.

No comments: