Saturday, June 12, 2010

Katsu!

When I eat something that's considered the "best" I really think of it as "the best so far." I love trying out different places to see if the "best" will be topped. So far, the best katsu I've had was in Tokyo at Katsukura in Takashimaya Times Square. The juiciest pork from the special grade kurobuta, the crispiest coating, and the perfect tonkatsu/sesame sauce.

While walking though IFC in Hong Kong, we came across this new restaurant, Ginza Bairin. The pictures on the menu and the atmosphere of the restaurant looked so appealing. On it's own, the experience was good. But, compared to the katsu I had in Tokyo, it was just pretty good.



Dipping Sauces
Sesame Dressing, Wasabi Dressing, Tonkatsu Sauce. Sauces for the katsus and for the shredded cabbage.


Crab Croquette
Nicely fried, but not as creamy as I had hoped. My expectation for Japanese croquette is the crispy, flaky outside and the smooth, flavorful inside.


Pork Katsu
The cut of pork was on the lean side, but the frying was pretty good. I love that the shredded cabbage was unlimited.


Curry
We ordered this on the side to enjoy with the katsu and over rice. Not too starchy and full of curry flavor.

No comments: