Sunday, June 13, 2010

Breakfast Buffet

I'm not much of a buffet fan. It's just too much food. And in many cases, too much mediocre food. However, I have visited my fair share of hotel buffets around the world. The Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok is the place to beat so far. They have such an amazing spread of Thai food. All authentic, fresh, and delicious. The Wynn brunch buffet also has some great mini Belgian waffles.

Breakfast at the Kitchen in the W Hotel in Kowloon. Since I had flown straight from San Francisco in Hong Kong, I would wake up by 6am because of jetlag. Our first meal was usually an early lunch just before noon. So by the second day, I knew that I should have a decent breakfast. Wow, it was more than decent - it was a feast! I think I was full for two days because of this buffet. The food was pretty good, but the display and variety made it taste even better. I think if I went back, I would drink more of the juices.

(Note: It was 7am, and I'm not a morning person. So I left my camera up in the hotel room, but at least I had my iPhone on me.)

The View of the Harbor

Fresh Juice Station
This was the best part of the buffet! Freshly squeeze juices and bottled for this beautiful display. I think I had about three bottles - kiwi, guava, and orange juices.

Cold Cuts and Yogurt Stations

Smoothie, Fruit, and Cereal Station

Chinese Station
With Dim Sum, Noodles, Fried Rice, and Congee (Rice Porridge) with its toppings.

Western Station
Sausage, Bacon, Waffles, Pancakes.

Egg Station
Freshly made eggs any way you'd like it to be cooked.

Bread & Pastry Station

A Closer Look at the Petite Pastries

The Cute Salt & Pepper Shakers
At our table.

Little Bite
A spoon of tofu, tomato, and chive in soy sauce. A nice little spoonful which they were passing around.

Plate #1
Chinese Breakfast. Congee, Rice Noodles, Dim Sum Dumplings.

Plate #2
Western Breakfast. Waffle, Pancake, Sausage, Bacon, Jamon, Smoked Salmon, Eel, and a Fishcake Slider.

Plate #3
Pastries. Corn Bread (bread with savory cream corn in the middle), Almond Cookie, Chocolate Chip Cookie, Raspberry Madeleine, Blueberry Puff, Sugar Donut, Chocolate-Cream Filled Donut, and a French Toast. Fun little pastries, but a bit on the dry side because they've been sitting out all morning.

Plate #4
Fruit Plate...well, and meat and cookies plate, too...Papaya, Jamon, Almond Cookie, and a Banana Mint Yogurt Smoothie.
I can't believe I got past Plate #2, but I had this urge to keep going.

No comments: