Thursday, June 10, 2010

Everyday Meals at Home

Every day meals at home. I say this every time, but seriously it's just as good (or even better) than eating out. Here are a few meals that my family and I whipped up during our week and a half stay in our Las Vegas house:

Meal #1:
Spinach Dip
When my friends visited me in Vegas for less than 24 hours, they generously brought some gifts of wine, French baguettes, and spinach dip from Draeger's (my hometown grocery in Menlo Park). I've eaten a lot of spinach dips, hot and cold. This has not been beaten. I have yet to find a place that has a better spinach dip.

Caesar Salad
My mom's specialty that she taught to me some years ago. A thick dipping-style dressing that has creamy, bold tastes.

Spaghetti
We used two kinds of pasta, tagliatelle and spaghetti. This is another recipe that my mom taught me, and that I now make whenever we crave it.


Meal #2:
Kimchi

My brother's homemade recipe.

Grilled Vegetables
Eggplants and Bell Peppers.

Grilled Chicken
Perfectly cooked and moist all the way through.


Meal #3:
Pickled Cauliflower

My mom's homemade pickled vegetables.

Sauteed Vegetables
With bean sprounts, mushrooms, and broccoli.

Spareribs
My mom's specialty recipe (she has a lot of specialty recipes) for pork spareribs. Slightly sweet with some savory flavors and a lot of deliciousness.


Meal #4:
The Wine Pairing

1995 Caymus "Special Selection" Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. A well-aged, smooth Cab that paired so nicely with this meal.

Snap Peas
Sauteed with ginger.

Sauteed Vegetables
With bean sprouts and spinach

Fried Rice
Japanese style.

Greg Norman Steaks
My dad's specialty. Look at that beautiful charring!

Onion Sauce
Our classic sauce for steak. Tart, mellow, and smooth all at the same time. A perfect partner with steak.

Plated Sides
Vegetables and rice to eat!

Plated Steak
Perfectly charred on the outside and perfectly medium on the inside. A fantastic meal at home.

No comments: