Saturday, October 10, 2009

A Night with Chef Gerald Hirigoyen

Last night I went with Guam Foodie  and my parents to see a cooking demonstration from Chef Gerald Hirigoyen, of Bocadillos and Piperade.

The class was so enjoyable that we were left wanting more.  So we drove from San Mateo to San Francisco to have more food and wine at Bocadillos.  We ended up eating, drinking, and chatting it up all night with Chefs Gerald and Bob and the bar manager.  I can’t wait to go back!

CIMG1854CIMG1852
Chef Gerald and his executive chef, Bob
Gerard was our chef and stand-up comic of the night.  He’s so much fun!
CIMG1865
Pouring his Gift for the Class
Txakolina!  Pairs so nicely with all the food he made.
CIMG1858CIMG1864CIMG1859
Tomato and Watermelon Salad
So delicious and refreshing!  I didn’t want this small plate to finish.  There were bits of avocado and herbs, as well.  The balsamic vinaigrette had a nice sweetness.
CIMG1856
Snapper Ceviche
With frisee.  He likes using frisee.  The snapper was nicely coated with the acids and fish sauce.  The addition of Thai peppers provided a subtle spice.
CIMG1861
Mussels with Bread Salad
The mussels were juicy and plump!  This was another refreshing small plate.
CIMG1868
Monkfish
With olive oil, tomato, basil, olives, and capers.  This made the class smell so good.  The fish was nicely light and tender.  Such a simple, yet delicious dish!
CIMG1866
Salt Cod with Piperade
Bacalao (salt cod) is one of my favorites.  I love its delicate bite.
CIMG1872
With the chefs of the night!
Gerald is on my right, and Bob is on my left.  (I closed my eyes :(  -- I guess I was way too excited to be in their presence….)
Chef Gerard Hirigoyen

No comments: