Thursday, March 29, 2012

Ramen in Taipei

Everyone has certain dishes that always bring them immediate comfort and satisfaction. For me, that's in a great bowl of ramen. But, when the bowl is below average or even average, I don't get those same feelings. I need that ramen to be above average - creamy tonkotsu broth or a rich miso broth with noodles that are cooked to the perfect chew. Instant comfort and happiness with every bite, drink, or slurp.

Taipei is a city filled with Japanese influence, especially in the restaurant scene. So when I walked by a ramen restaurant with pictures of tempting chasu shoyu tonkotsu ramen (soy sauce-pork bone broth ramen with pork belly), I had to try this place out.

Ramen Sanji at the new ATT4Fun mall in Taipei's Xin Yi district attracts long lines of hungry ramen fans. So this had to be a good place, right?

It was just slightly above average for me. Better than places I've so far tried here in Manila, but not as good as my favorite ramen joints in the states.

The broth was on the oily side and didn't pack the creaminess I was expecting from a tonkotsu broth. The chasu was decent but not as melt in your mouth. The noodles, however, were a standout. They had that nice chewy, al dente bite.

Place your cursor above "Notes" below to read the captions for each photo.
If you can't see the slide show here, check out my Flickr album: Ramen ATT4fun

No comments: