Monday, February 27, 2012

Starting a Ramen Search in Manila

There's nothing more comforting than noodle soups. Every cuisine has their own creation - American chicken noodle soup, Chinese wonton noodle soup, Vietnamese pho, Japanese ramen, and so on.

Miso ramen and tonkotsu ramen are my two favorite kinds of ramen. The broths are deeply pork flavored and rich with goodness. The noodles have a nice chew - with bonus points if its handmade.

When I was living in the Bay Area I searched for some of the best ramen joints. Ryowa for miso ramen and Santa Ramen for tonkotsu. And in Vegas, Monta serves some quality bowls of tonkotsu as well.

Here in Manila, I have just started my search. First up, Kenji-Tei Ramen House.

A perfect ramen house has amazing ramen AND gyoza. The gyoza here was just all right - nothing horrible, but nothing spectacular. It actually reminded me of those frozen potsticker packs from Trader Joe's, meaning a bit on the bland side.

The Spicy Negi Ramen is a miso ramen with chilis. The broth retains the ground pork chunks. It's mildly rich with a pretty good flavor. The noodles have that nice bite. Overall, this is a decent bowl of miso ramen. If I was really really craving for a bowl of ramen, I'd come here for the convenience.

The slide show here runs on Flash. If you can't see it, check out my Flickr album: Kenji Tei

No comments: