Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Yakitori Eats in Bonifacio High Street Central

Growing up in the suburbs of the San Francisco Bay Area, a number of my favorite restaurants were up in the city, about 30 miles away. My family would drive up once or twice a week for brunches, lunches, afternoon teas, and dinners. If we really like a restaurant, we'd drive up more often.

Nanbantei of Tokyo was one of those restaurants that we more than frequented throughout the month. As soon as you enter the doors, you'd be greeted by a robust, "IRASSHAIMASE!" With the welcome, atmosphere, and servers, you'd be immediately transported to Tokyo.

The restaurant has long since been closed (and it's now called Hana Zen with new owners). And, I've missed it.

February 2012, Bonifacio High Street Central. A brand new Nanbantei of Tokyo in Manila!

The older branch in Greenbelt never appealed to me because it was tiny, old, and dingy. This new branch is much bigger and clean - the perfect place to celebrate my birthday with family. It was like a throwback celebration!

My favorite orders of the night were the shishito peppers, chicken meatballs, chicken wings and chicken skins. When the chicken skin is properly and thoroughly grilled, it's the best snack to pop in your mouth and crunch away.

While the servers and atmosphere does not compare to my memories of San Francisco, I love the space and open set up of this new branch. The grill is smartly placed behind a glass windown - to enjoy the cooking scene while not smelling like the kitchen when you leave.

The food...it's pretty darn close to what I remember. And that makes this restaurant good and repeatable.

Place your cursor above "Notes" below to read the captions for each photo.
The slide show here runs on Flash. If you can't see it, check out my Flickr album: Nanbantei

No comments: