Monday, May 28, 2012

Tasting our way around Napa Valley

Before leaving for the states, my parents gave me a list of things to buy.  When they said, "Wine," I didn't understand that as going to BevMo to buy a few bottles.  Of course not!  That clearly meant that I had to take a day trip up to the Napa Valley.

On a sunny Sunday, my friends and I made our way up Highway 29.  Our first stop was Yountville (or as I like to call it, "Michelin row" where four restaurants on one road have Michelin stars) for a necessary macaron start at Bouchon Bakery.  Thomas Keller makes some of the best macarons in the Bay Area.  If you're in area, you have to stop by.

With sweets coating our stomachs, we made our wine tasting stops.  We took our time through three wineries in the course of the afternoon.  Robert Mondavi Winery, St. Supery, and, my favorite winery, Peju.  I love that every pourer is friendly and informative.  Some more so than others, which is definitely the case at Peju.

By the time we got to our third winery, we had alcohol-hunger.  We found Rutherford Grill thanks to Yelp (4.5 out of 5 stars from 800+ reviews had to guarantee a great place).  Local Californian cuisine with a friendly neighborhood/tourist restaurant and bar vibe.  I definitely recommend this if you want a food stop before, during, or after your wine tasting day.

I never tire of trips up to Napa.  With great company, it's always a relaxing and memorable adventure full of great sips of several wines.

Place your cursor above "Notes" below to read the captions for each photo.
If you can't see the slideshow, check out my Flickr album: Napa

No comments: