Thursday, April 12, 2012

Baking my favorite restaurant dessert - Bostini Cream Pie

San Francisco has always and continues to give me some of my favorite food memories.  It's the area where I grew up, and it's the area where I had some of my favorite childhood meals and dishes.

If you ask me what's my all-time favorite dessert, I'd list a few of my mom's signature baked specialties.  As I travel around the world, every city is building up my list of favorite dishes, and desserts included.  So ask me what's my favorite all-time restaurant dessert in San Francisco.

Scala Bistro's Bostini Cream Pie (also found on the menu of Bistro Giovanni in Napa).  Hands down, my favorite San Francisco treat.  Now, I haven't tried this in a few years, so I can't tell you if it's still consistent.  But from what I remember, it's a generous cup of vanilla bean custard that drowns a little orange chiffon cake, and wonderfully topped with a semi-sweet chocolate glaze.  That combination of vanilla, orange, and chocolate.. they are made for each other.

I remember when I was in grade school, I cleaned the cup and the chocolate glaze all over the plate so well that the waiter couldn't help but comment that I must have enjoyed it.  Yes, I totally did.

This Bostini Cream Pie dessert is always on my mind.  I've been wanting to make it to relive my happy memories.  So over the Easter weekend, during the height of my baking spirit, I gathered the recipe together.  It's a long process to completely cool the cupcakes, and then chill the custard.  But, it's all so worth it once you have that first spoonful of that custard, orange, and chocolate goodness.

If you can't see the slide show, check out my Flickr album: Bostini Cream Pie

No comments: