Monday, January 16, 2012

Namaste, Nepal!

I'm a city girl. I need to see high rises and people.

But, sometimes city life can get routine and overwhelming.. Enter, vacation time!

Usually vacation is to another city or to nature. This time my best friend and I needed something COMPLETELY different.

Namaste, Nepal!

Kathmandu is one of the most dense and overwhelming places I have ever been. It is also one of the most culturally dense cities. You can feel the influence of India and China, its neighboring cities. At the same time, they have their own unique features, traditions, and culture.

Aside from the beautiful pictures that drew us to this trip, we also were comforted by the fact that my best friend's college friend is a local. A local guide to show us the city!

We staed in the tourist district, Thamel, is filled with vendors, trekkers, locals, cars, rickshaws, and what seems like everything else. The bustle is endless!

The city and the surrounding cities are so rick with culture and history. So much so, the temple and squares in the valley are UNESCO World Heritage sites.

Kathmandu did not provide us the getaway from our respective cities (Manila and Hong Kong), but it definitely took us worlds away.


The slide show here runs on Flash. If you can't see it, check out my Flickr album: Kathmandu

No comments: