Thursday, September 29, 2011

Banhi Mi for Lunch!

Instead of craving for burritos and deli sandwiches, this time I was really craving for banh mi - Vietnamese sandwiches. That light and crispy Vietnamese-French bread, with the fillings contrasting with pickles and jalapenos. Vietnamese sandwiches are seriously one of the best sandwiches in the world.

When I'm back in the states, especially the Bay Area, I tend to search for eats on Yelp. According to Yelp, the better banh mi near the Peninsula was in Sunnyvale at Cam Hung. Four solid stars. Usually, that means it's pretty good. Unfortunately, the four stars didn't ring true here. The bread wasn't crispy at all, and the fillings were really dry.

That made me want to drive farther to get the really good quality banh mi. Milpitas and San Jose are the cities to go to for quality and authentic banh mi. Huong Lan serves up some really good sandwiches that totally fulfilled my craving. The grilled pork was tasty, the sardines were good, and the classic ham, pate, and headcheese keeps you coming back for more.


The slide show here runs on Flash. If you can't see it, check out my Flickr album: Banh Mi

No comments: