Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Modern Vietnamese at Xanh

When I first moved to Asia last year, I would find myself really craving for Mexican food. My cravings for foods that I grew up with change each time I revisited the states. Mexican, burgers, pizza, ramen, and so on. This time around, I had a craving for Vietnamese cuisine.

Because I come from a family that doesn't plan ahead and doesn't really make reservations until the day of, we weren't able to land a table in Slanted Door. That is my favorite Vietnamese restaurant (Out the Door, included) in San Francisco.

So instead, we revisited Xanh, a Vietnamese restaurant in the Bay Area. We first went to Xanh when it first opened years ago. When they moved locations, across the street, we never had a chance to try it out again. The newer location is nicely set up with a few dining areas and a bar/lounge.

The food has modern presentations, while enjoying it all family style. Overall, the food is enjoyable. But, when you expect Slanted Door quality, it's kind of disappointing. I found myself constantly thinking, "This is okay but Slanted Door does it so much better." I definitely need to book ahead at Slanted Door the next time I'm in the Bay Area.


Place your cursor above "Notes" below to read the captions for each photo.
The slide show here runs on Flash. If you can't see it, check out my Flickr album: Xanh

No comments: