Monday, May 09, 2011

Alfajores - An Argentinian Treat

Every country has a variety of specialties when it comes to food. They range from appetizers to desserts and drinks.

One specialty of Argentina is their dessert cookies - alfajores. Alfajores are basically biscuit cookies sandwiching a layer of dulce de leche.

I recently discovered these cookies because my brother had a batch of homemade alfajores in his place - made by his Argentinian friend's mother. The biscuits were not overly sweet, so the dulce the leche could be the star. The biscuits were crumbly good, too.

Two weeks later, I came across alfajores again at a neighborhood market in New Haven, CT. I had to try it to compare. Also homemade, and this time they were coated with coconut. A bit on the drier and flakier side, and a bit sweeter. I preferred the first batch I tasted, but nonetheless still really enjoyed these Argentinian cookies.

It's always a treat to discover new foods, sweets, and drinks. And it's even better when you get to try various versions to compare the works of each baker and cook.

Place your cursor above "Notes" to read a little about each picture.
The slide show here runs on Flash. If you can't see it, check out my Flickr album.

No comments: